HEVs can have voltages of up to 1000 volts, which presents some hazards for first responders and others working in the crash repair industry. Skillbuild have developed Australia’s first course to train Emergency Services and Crash Repair workers to deal with these voltages safely in their work environments.
This 4 hour course will cover the following;
- Voltage levels in HEVs and how the wiring is placed in the vehicles
- PPE for working on HEV – eg, 1000 volt gloves
- Identifying HEVs
- Safety cut offs built into the vehicle
- Capacitor discharge
- Using emergency cutting equipment
- Swamped/flooded vehicles
- Battery chemistry – why Lithium Ion fires are difficult to extinguish
- Towing, crash repairs and salvage yards
- Storage of damaged vehicles
- AS 5732 Electric vehicle operations – Maintenance and repair
- Practical exercise on disconnection of battery pack in EV
- A short 20 question written quiz at the completion of the day to reinforce the course content
Skillbuild will issue a Statement of Attendance to verify that the participant has completed this training and understands the safety issues discussed.
Whilst aimed at ‘practitioners’, this course is also suitable for senior staff, managers and WH&S representatives. There are no formal pre-requisites.
What we provide
- Training Manual listing all the HEVs on the market and their procedures for isolation
- Access to our Dropbox folder with numerous resources continually updated
- Experts in their field delivering the course; Electrician and Auto Technician, not an Engineer